What does it mean to be authentic and transparent in customer and employee experience? More importantly, how does that work in practice? That’s precisely what we are talking about with our guest David Sakamoto. He brings deep passion and experience in leading customer experiences, scaling businesses, and optimizing the delivery of products and services to provide customer outcomes and propel revenue growth. He currently leads global customer success at GitLab but had previously built and scaled the Americas Customer Success team at Cisco, and had worked at Evault, Genentech, Yahoo, and SGI.
“With everything we do, we are totally open, direct, and transparent.“– David Sakamoto
Transparency is not as simple as many companies think. You need to be open about your inner processes and plans to your employees, and you need to show everything about your product or service to the customer. David has a lot of fascinating ideas behind all of this and a few recommendations you should hear about as they have already worked for him and his company GitLab.
“One thing I hope never changes is empathy for your customer.”– David Sakamoto
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How David came to manage customer success at GitLab and his vision for it
- Transparency and “walking the talk” at GitLab
- How transparency looks in practice at GitLab
- How David leverages his team and maintains company culture and values
- David’s ideas on the future of customer experience
Connect with David
Listen To This Episode
Give your team the customer service training they deserve
Want to bring game-changing customer service training to your team? CTS Service Solutions offers a half-day in-person workshop designed to motivate and educate your customer-facing team members. Using energy, excitement, and interaction, our workshop helps frontline teams embrace a customer-centric outlook. Then — using the principles from our book Be Your Customer’s Hero — gives them the skills and confidence they need to handle any service interaction. Don’t leave your frontline team hanging… Give them the training they deserve. Learn more at customerheroworkshop.com, that is customerheroworkshop.com.
- Experience Investigators® post, Cross-Functional CX: How to Make Customer Experience Work Across your Organization
- Customers That Stick® post, How to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Manage Employee Empowerment
- Episode 483: Donna Cutting, Employees First!
- Episode 127: Is Transparency Effective?
- We’re on C-Suite Radio! Check it out for more great podcasts!
Take care of yourself and take care of your customers.