In the last few years, the world has gone very far when it comes to pronouns. Specifically, we have gotten used to referring to people with the pronouns they want us to use. Even companies have gone a long way since many are already allowing you to pick the pronoun you want when creating an account on their websites.
“This idea is less new to people in customer experience than to the society at large.”
Customer service agents are getting better at referring to people using gender-neutral pronouns, but this can always improve, and it should improve. Leaders need to take action and work on this so every customer can feel at ease when dealing with your company.
“It’s an interesting brain exercise to think where we are on this journey and how to address things respectfully.“
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Language and pronouns – how far we’ve made it
- Using respectful pronouns in customer service
- AI and technology for inclusive language
- The importance of using they and them
Listen To This Episode
- Experience Investigators® post, 6 Ways to Keep it Real for Everyone: Diversity In Experience Planning
- Customers That Stick® post, A Quick Customer-Facing Communication Checklist
- Episode 417: Bernadette Smith, Inclusive CX
- Episode 330: Jess Pettitt, Good Enough NOW
- We’re on C-Suite Radio! Check it out for more great podcasts!
Take care of yourself and take care of your customers.